[Sca-cooks] What do you think? OT

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 5 22:09:39 PST 2002

Sudentur, was Randall Cook of Northpass, was Avraham (see below :-) ) said:
>> Why not continue to be Avraham haRofeh for formal
>> occasions, as physician to those with high position, ...
>
> Because Avraham's "formal" garb isn't going to be High Tudor. :-) At BEST (and
> remember that Jews were banished from England from the 13th century until
> Cromwell), it would be the "academic" garb common to scholars in that period.

I had thought Avraham was Jewish and wondered whether Randall would be and
if so, whether that would be a problem in Tudor England.

If you haven't checked it out, there is a very good name resource site
put together by some of the SCA heralds, called St. Gabriel and another
by Arval:

http://www.us.itd.umich.edu/~ximenez/s.gabriel/docs/
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/SCA/

This Florilegium might be of use if you are thinking about some period
academic attire:
cl-academic-msg   (18K) 10/ 1/96    Medieval academic clothing.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-academic-msg.html

I don't know if you've looked at this file, but perhaps it might be
of some help, although you seem to like the idea of Tudor men's clothing.
If your concern is making the Tudor garb, remember that the lower
the class, generally the easier the garb is to make.

clothing-LM-msg    (7K) 11/29/01    Period clothing for large men.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/clothing-LM-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com