[Sca-cooks] Cookies

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 6 07:05:39 PST 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Margaret commented:

> > That, darling, is why I made drop cookies. :-)
> >
> >  I was going to do spritz, but my wrist threatened to secede, so they
> > became drop cookies. I can work a cookie scoop left-handed, I can't work a
> > spritz bag. Go figure.
>
> Huh? What is a "spritz" and what is a "spritz" bag?
>
> I've heard of spritzing your hair, but somehow I don't think that is
>
> the same thing...Although with this group anything is possible.

Heh. Why did I not see this one coming? :-)

A spritz cookie is a German unleavened cookie made with butter, eggs,
flour, sugar, and flavoring. There are various recipes out there, but
that's the basics. Anyway, a spritz is what happens when you force the
aforesaid cookie dough through a cookie press. There are various plates to
make different kinds of shapes. Spritz cookies don't spread hardly at all
when they bake, so as to preserve the nifty shapes--this is why some of my
cookie contribution is in little balls just as it came out of the
cookie scoop, and some is not. :-)

A photo of a cookie press, with some representative cookies:
http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/25300.3.535659683562676833

This photo is teeny, but has two different kinds of spritz--green trees
and then pinwheels right under them (and old German recipes, but that's
another story).
http://www.christmas-baking.com/

The reason I have a spritz *bag* instead of a cookie press, is for the
same reasons that I have five or six turk's head molds (bundt pans,
essentially) , six 8" square pans, and some completely illogical number of
9" cake pans--I inherited it/them from my grandmother when she gave away
what was left of the bakery equipment when she sold her house. Grandpa
used a bag instead of a press--the bag holds more. It's kind of like a
huge canvas icing bag, with a cylindrical metal end with threads for the
screw-on cap that holds the cookie plate on.

Margaret, keeper of exotic bakery equipment