[Sca-cooks] RE: SELENE's SPICEBREAD [based on a recipe from the Darkover Cookbook]

Candace Selph candace at selphcontrol.com
Fri Dec 6 15:38:56 PST 2002

Where does one get a Darkover Cookbook?

Mina

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-admin at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Susan Fox-Davis
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 10:24 AM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: SELENE's SPICEBREAD [based on a recipe from the Darkover
Cookbook]

I did about the same, and I don't have the excuse of impending
retirement.  Adding to my shame,
Jared ran out and bought me zipper plastic bags, which was nice of him,
but bought the
quart-size storage bags so they look a bit small and lonely in there.
Maybe Apollonia can store
other items in with them.  Happy times everyone!

My recipe:

SELENE's SPICEBREAD  [based on a recipe from the Darkover Cookbook]

1/4 cup soft shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 small egg
1/2 cup coffee

mix together.  Then sift in separate bowl;

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger

Add to liquid ingredients.  Chill dough and drop by teaspoons on baking
sheet, just till set
-till almost no imprint remains when touched with finger.  They should
be soft and tender.  Or
spread in pan, after adding nuts, raisins, crystallized fruit or
anything else desired, roll
out, cut in shapes and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes [adjust for
size of item of course].

This batch had half honey and half molasses, and half whole-wheat and
half unbleached white
flours.  1/2 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.  I candied
the orange peel myself
and added whole almonds as well.  I think that's all.

Selene Colfox

Selene Colfox

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> Now I feel chintzy--I only made about 2-3 oz of plum pud per person.
Two nice mouthfuls....