[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

AnnaMarie wolfsong at ida.net
Sun Dec 8 08:04:25 PST 2002

I make my chicken stock in this manner (it's the pre-curser to alot of
chicken soup).  You could always scale back on how many chickens too.

Twelve chickens - cut them up.  Put breasts in bags for meals.  Put legs and
thighs aside for soup.  Put wings aside for Buffalo Sauce.

Take backs, all excess skin (I tend to skin the breasts and leg/thigh parts
too).  Put them in a large stock pot, cover with water, add onions (2 cut
into quarters), three stalks of celery cut into largish pieces, make a
bouquet garni with peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, garlic cloves and
whatever other spices you like.  I usually make four small bags so they'll
mix around.  Bring to a boil and skim the scum off.  Down to a simmer for
eight hours.   Strain out all the solids, you usually get enough meat off
the backs for chicken in gravy over toast, Bonus!!  Put the liquid back into
the stockpot.

I put it overnight in the garage (I only do this in the dead of winter) and
the next morning skim off the schmaltz.  You then have a jelly like stock.
Sometimes I just freeze this or sometimes I make it all into soup.  YMMV.

Kristianne