[Sca-cooks] Copper bowl question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 8 14:37:24 PST 2002

Copper is a reactive element and can produce poisonous salts in some
situations.  I would suggest not using copper for preparing strongly acidic
foods.

In the case of meringues, the cooper ions released by the bowl appear to
combine with the conalbumin in the egg white to produce a more stabilized
foam.  At least that is the jist of a somewhat more detailed commentary in
McGee's On Food and Cooking.

Bear