[Sca-cooks] Re: Heirloom gadgets (Was:Cookies)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sun Dec 8 18:39:50 PST 2002

> >  I can work a cookie scoop
> > > left-handed, I can't work a
> > > spritz bag. Go figure.
> > > Margaret
> >
> > Have you ever tried a spritz "gun"?  It is fairly
> > new.  Here is a picture of one:
> >
> > http://www.kitchencollection.com/tempproducts.cfm?sku=00215243[1]
> >
> > It is quite easy to use and requires a lot less
> > pressure or control.
>

> Margaret, you are advising Granny on methods of sucking an egg.  New???
> I have been making spritz cookies with an identical gun for the past FIFTY
> YEARS!!!  Same pattern plates too.  And it was used by my mom for at least
> a decade before that (if not longer).  What planets have some of you cooks
> been living on?  I even have two of them.  They ARE quite easy to use and
> about idiot proof.  As to liquidity of the dough, you have to REFRIGERATE
> it (and it already is pretty stiff) to keep from getting a blob instead of a
> desired shape.

[snip]

> Akim

Hey! None of that! I posted about not being able to work the spritz bag
left-handed. The suggestion to use a cookie press was not me, it was
Huette. Count your >'s. Sheesh.

To reiterate: I have a spritz bag. I don't NEED a cookie press. Even
though the local hardware store has one for $16.99. I wouldn't know
where to put it--the bag at least folds mostly flat.

As for heirloom tools and gadgetry, I have the aforementioned collection
of turk's head molds, an ancient lamb cake mold, a set of rosette irons,
and a pile of assorted pans, all from the leftover bakery stuff from my
grandmother's attic. Oh, and about a zillion tins for sand tarts. And I
have photos of the storefronts of both the bakeries. Mom had laid claim on
all the really good stuff, including the springerle molds, so all of
that's still at Dad's house.

Margaret, owner of old bakery equipment (except the Hobart, darn it!)