[Sca-cooks] nerves, was A serious accident

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Dec 9 12:25:51 PST 2002

I had a (compared to this.. minor) accident that damaged the nerve that
controls my right arm........

I was convinced I would never use it again. and yes... it was bad
(I burned myself a lot because I was too idiotic to be convinced that I
*really* couldn't even lift a tea cup in my right hand)

I was reduced to tears many times. and convinced I would never use that hand
again.

while I still have some occasional problems, and will likely for life.. I
DID regain use of my hand and arm.  it was agonizingly slow. and people who
only saw me occasionally were more able to *see* the recovery than I was. I
was too close.. and it was very gradual.

of my friends who had nerve damage.. some recovered immediately. but most of
us had "plateau" years where we thought no more recovery would ever happen.
it does, just very gradually.

coming from a profound rightie... trying to learn to use my left hand was a
lost cause. others do much better.  but if they got the surgery done, and he
has a good doctor (watch the swelling, and discuss steroid use carefully)
then he will likely recover some over the long haul.. even if he doesn't
think so at first!

good luck.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."