[Sca-cooks] Period sources (Anthimus)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 15:48:09 PST 2002

Also sprach david friedman:

>Adamantius responded:
>
>>Grant's is not the first published edition; I know HG Cariadoc has or
>>had an earlier edition from, IIRC, the 1930's. I believe there are
>>German translations from before that; check Thomas Gloning's website
>>for more info on that. Now, this source is, after all, a letter, and
>>not a published book as would know it, but that doesn't necessarily
>>mean it was totally unknown to Renaissance physicians. Certainly they
>>knew Galen and his ilk. Anthimus' views on humoral medicine seem to
>>be a little different, though, so perhaps his views as a common
>>school of thought had not really survived into the Renaissance as
>>Galen's did.
>
>Actually, the Universtiy of Chicago had it: Anthimus, De Observatio
>Ciborum, translated by Shirley Howard Weber, published by E. J. Brill
>Ltd, Leiden 1924. I think it was someone's doctoral thesis which had
>gotten published.

Yes. What I was trying to convey was that His Grace had a copy (I
know this because he sent me a copy of it); at the time I couldn't
remember the specific information for that particular translation,
other than that it was probably from the 20's or 30's, and there were
some interesting areas of translational divergence from the Grant
edition.

Adamantius