[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Tue Dec 10 00:19:55 PST 2002

At 17:35 10/12/02 +1100, you wrote:
>I am a bit of a heathen to most cooks; I actually like electric stoves.
><catches the nearest person fainting with shock>

I'm with Kiriel on this. I have endless trouble getting something that
needs slow gentle cooking to work over gas, especially an erratic or
coin-operated gas hotplate at a rented hall. Rice sticks, sauce burns. As
for making a custard or gently reducing a sauce, forget it. I'll go with
with electric any day.

With gas there is also the problem that arose at my (Catalan/ Neopolitan)
baronial Yule feast at the weekend- while heating some meat one of the
kitchen staff pushed the tray directly into the flames at the back of the
gas oven, causing the tray to heat to red-hot and emit potentially
hazardous gases. But then I'm still trying to work out why I could smell
something burning from out the front of the hall, and the kitchen staff
didn't.

Giles