[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Feenercrai at aol.com Feenercrai at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 12:32:22 PST 2002

I'm usually a lurker too, but ... I had to add something to this discussion.
:)
For the record, my name is Juliana von Altenfeld, I've been a subject of
Trimaris (near the Meridian border, where my husband comes from), the West
and currently the East.  I've been cooking in the society for 17 years now,
and just finished half a feast this weekend.  I did the Western half of a
Crusader feast.  An acquaintance did the middle eastern side.
So, to the subject:
The pots and pans you use may make more of a difference in what type of stove
you like than the fuel the stove uses.  I've used both gas and electric
stoves and slightly prefer gas stoves (for the fine tuning of the
temperature).
With gas and electric you need different cookware.  If you like cast iron,
electric isn't going to work well for you.  I had some le creuset (enamel
cast iron) for years that I never used because I didn't like using them on an
electric stove.  Once I got the gas stove, they became my favorite pans.
I do agree though, if you are making large quantities, the gas stoves are
better.  I think it's because they can get hotter than electric burners,
which generally isn't noticeable because you don't often need full power.
Juliana