[Sca-cooks] Help: Alows de Beef or de Motoun

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 12:39:02 PST 2002

Take fayre Bef of + e quyschons, and motoun of + e bottes, and kytte in + e maner of Stekys; + an take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal y-scredde, and yolkys of Eyroun so+ e hard, and Marow or swette, and hew alle + es to-geder smal; + an caste + er-on poudere of Gyngere and Saffroun, and tolle hem to-gederys with + in hond, and lay hem on + e Stekys al a-brode, and caste Salt + er-to; + en rolle to-gederys, and putte hem on a round spete, and roste hem til + ey ben y-now; + an lay hem in a dysshe, and pore + er-on Vynegre and a lityl verious, and pouder Pepir + er-on y-now, and Gyngere, and Canelle, and a fewe yolkys of hard Eyroun y-kremyd + er-on; and serue forth.

Take fair beef of the "quyschons" and mutton of the boeeom, and cut in the manner of steaks.  Then take raw parsley and onions, shredded small, and yolks of eggs boiled hard, and marrow or "swette" (sweet butter?), and hew all this together small, then cast thereeon powder of ginger and saffron, and mix it together with thine hand, and lay it on the steaks all abroad. and cast on salt, and roll it together, and put it on a round spit, and roast it til it be enough.  And lay it in a dish and pour on it vinegar and a little verjuice, and powder of pepper and "er-on"(?) enough, and ginger and cinnamon and a few yolks of hard eggs creamed thereon, and serve forth.     Amanda Blackwolf <amandablackwolf at sbcglobal.net> wrote:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
I'm cooking something out of the Miscelleny, but can't translate the whole recipe, mostly because I can't read the italic right now, as my glasses have been lost by my younger child (page 88 or the Miscelleny) Does anyone have the translation?

Thanks,
Amanda

---

Lady Anne du Bosc