[Sca-cooks] OT: cook for a cure

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Dec 10 16:44:39 PST 2002

>To tell the truth, i didn't go myself. But Crosston sponsors a
>medical fund raising mini-war every year, and i do believe this
>year's was for breast cancer. Also a number of Crosstonians took part
>in one of those walks to raise money for breast cancer research.

While we're on the topic of breast cancer, allow me to interject my usual
bit of disability advocacy on the topic...

There are no studies actually showing this, but according to a group that
focuses on health of women with disabilities (name of such group at office,
can't remember now), there is less than 10% of all mammogram machines that
are accessible to women with disabilities.  That is, traditional machines
can't be adjusted for a woman in a wheelchair, or a woman with another type
of physical disability that won't allow her to stand, or stand for long
(such as say, arthritis).

Many, many women with disabilities won't even bother with the hassle of
trying to get checked, as a lot of the doctors are ill educated on the topic.

I know a lady who had radical double mastectomy because of it.  I knew two
other ladies that died because of it.

That's all I had to say about that.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds