[Sca-cooks] Buying flour for bread

Wed Dec 11 11:33:42 PST 2002

Okay.  Quick rule of thumb.  One level U.S. cup of sifted flour weighs about
4 ounces.  Unsifted about 5 to 6 ounces.

If these are one pound loaves, I would estimate 15 pounds of flour.  If two
pound, then probably 25 pounds of flour.  This should leave some extra flour
for dusting the kneading surface, etc.  For this purpose, I would probably
buy them in 5 pound bags, that way if you don't use all of the flour, you
may have an unopened bag rather than an open one and if not, you don't have
a lot of empty bag to store.  Look for a sale on the 5 pound bags and you
can often get them cheaper than the equivalent larger bags.

If you can do this in two batches, you're looking at about seven hours
elapse time of which four to five can be spent on other tasks.

How many in the feast?

Bear