[Sca-cooks] remember the 'herbalist'?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 11 20:18:41 PST 2002

At 08:46 PM 12/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>At the end of the article, she gives some herbal recipes and redactions.
>Most of them are credited as being from "Mother Nature's Herbal" by Judy
>Griffin, PhD.  (Dr. Griffin has a PhD in nutrition, and is a Master
Gardener.)
>Other recipes are uncredited.  One is "A Flaune of Almayne" from "Ancient
>Cookery".  AC is the source of the original, but the redaction is from the
>Miscellany.  She gives a link to the recipe index, but does not credit
>Cariadoc and Elizabeth on her own page.  Another, for "Blue Summer
>Sauce" has been paraphrased from "The Medieval Kitchen" by Redon et al.
>She may have gotten it from the book, or from the U of Chicago Press
>website at:
>http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/706842.html.
>
>There are links to some SCA-related sites: the Florilegium file on caudles,
>the website of the herbal guild of the Shire of Vanished Wood, Cariadoc's
>article on "Some Recipes of al-Andalus" and a link to his recipe index.  The
>latter is labelled "Ancient Cookery," as if that were the title of the
website.

Yeah, her citation skills are charming, aren't they?

>If she doesn't value the opinions of researchers without doctorates in a
>relevant field, why the links?

Laziness? trying to make it look good? trying to bolster non-existent
credientials of her own?

>Incidently, the indignant editor is not the person who wrote the article.
It is
>credited to "Endora," a staff member of alternative-beauty.com.  According
>to the description at: http://www.alternative-beauty.com/staff.htm her
>primary roles seem to be running the site's forum, and writing articles on
>spiritual and mystical topics.  Her listing also says, "She will NOT be
>personally handling complaints however (she says it screws up her vibe),
>so the less enchanting feedback we may receive will be promptly forwarded
>to our more professionally competent editor."

A) I think they are one and the same- at least this 'Aimee' person is using
the wrong (as in 1st person) pronouns if she isn't the author. And she is
way too defensive if she isn't the author.

B) 'Professionally competent' are not two words I would use to describe her.

I got another howler from her a little bit ago. Amongst other things she
seems to think that it is ok for her to be all yoinked about an offhand
comment I made to the list because it later showed up in the archives,
which she apparently went through looking for things we said about her. I
kid you not. I'm really pissed. This is Poppa's living room. I don't say
anything here that I wouldn't say in his physical living room. To me,
knowing that she went through the archives looking for things to be pissed
about?- I feel like I've been stalked. At the very least she's
eavesdropping, and that's rude.

The rest was more of the same- 'don't confuse me with facts' garbage. And
the 'I am too a professional, you poopy head!' stuff.

Sorry to say her article and her subsequent behavior really colored my
attitude about the website and the lifstyle/belief system she espouses.
Pretty sad, that.

'Lainie
-I know if you don't open a howler it explodes. What it you delete it? ;-)