[Sca-cooks] remember the 'herbalist'?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 12 03:18:43 PST 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 10:05 PM 12/11/02 -0800, you wrote:
>>--
>>Speaking of silly articles.  I wrote to the guy in Israel who wrote the
>>Crusader food article.  Since everyone else got on him about the rancid
>>meat thing, I asked him about his recipes.  If they 900 years old as he
>>claims, why is he using corn syrup and can he please tell me what primary
>>sources he used for the recipes?  Multiple choice answer on his reply.
>>
>>a) zip
>>b) nada
>>c) zilch
>>d) none
>>e) any or all of the above.
>>
>>AEduin
>
>Really? I wrote a similar letter to him, about the whole article, and
>including the recipes. Cited sources and examples, waved my degree around a
>bit (that seems to be the magic ticket) and I got a reply- he politely
>thanked me for the info and said he'd get back to me when he'd had a chance
>to check out the references I gave.
>
>Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath, but it was so much nicer than the usual
>snotty response we get...

Could it be that, having received multiple questions of a vaguely
belligerent nature from different people in a similar group (you guys
didn't need to tell him, probably; it'd be fairly obvious that some
group was talking behind his back), he figured he'd take his time,
and answer one of you in his own good time?

Not, in theory, the most polite way to handle things, but when
dealing with what may be a pack mentality, not too hard to understand.

The dynamics of SCAdian group behavior are such that it's easy to
feel mobbed. I've often felt, as a Kingdom officer, that the subjects
of my Kingdom are under the impression that I am personally
accountable to each of them, individually, for every decision I make,
and that each of them has the power to filibuster against any
decision I may make of which they don't approve.

It must s*ck to be contacted by several members of this list more or
less simultaneously, to discuss errors... ;-)

Adamantius