[Sca-cooks] beef fat, was meat sale

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 12 09:11:25 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> i was going to feed it to the birds.... but how would you recomend
rendering
> it down? i have only limited experience with beef fat. i just asked them
> grind it because i *know* it makes it easier to use.  i tried making soap
> with it once (never again) and my hubby has suggested candles......

Start with a small amount of water in a pan, and heat it- add the fat. Let
it mumble away, as the fat seperates from the connective tissue, until you
have some solid material, rather fibrous, and pure fat.

Some people will just let the entire thing render down in water- when you
cool it, it's easy to seperate the fat from the water. I prefer to start
with water, but let it evaporate as the fat becomes liquid.

Cracklins are the remaining connective tissue, which, having been ground,
will be rather fibrous- you remove that from the fat. It's deep fat fried
and crispy when done right, and a bit of a taste treat for those of us who
like that sort of thing- rather like pork rinds.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,