[Sca-cooks] Russian (was Re: Accidental french) - OT

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 13:05:55 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> >So what's the "not really" written language that you speak?
>
> ASL, or American Sign Language.  It uses the same written alphabet and
> basically the same words as English, and most people don't write ASL, they
> just use English.  Some hard core Deafies will write in ASL, using a very
> ASL syntax, which looks funny to someone who doesn't read it.

Concurred.  Back in my temp office work days, I ran across a "new" script,
"Children of a Lesser God."  I learned about ASL syntax by reading the "lines"
for the deaf characters that way.  INteresting stuff.

The only ASL I know are naughty words, as taught to my father when he was
young and working for a New York newspaper by the pressroom guys.  Apparently,
in those days they used very noisy printing machinery and turned a
disadvantage around by hiring deaf workers to print the paper.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net