[Sca-cooks] Buying flour for bread

Fri Dec 13 07:15:24 PST 2002

As I recall, there is an admonition on one of the manchet recipes, "eight
ounces in, six ounces out."

The average bread loaf recipe has about three cups of flour to 1 cup of
water or about 20 to 24 ounces of dough to produce approximately 16 ounces
of bread.  You lose much of the moisture in the baking.  The rest evaporates
slowly through the crust, until the crust is broken.  Then it dries out
fairly rapidly.

Heavier doughs and larger loaves retain more moisture.

Bear