[Sca-cooks] Bread-baking with a biga

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 14 06:14:45 PST 2002

It is a lot, but it works.  Most bread recipes are written for home bakers
who want results fast.  If you are willing to take the time, you can use far
less yeast and the bread will be better for the longer rise.  I might use 2
teaspoons (or less) with a sponge for 8 pounds of bread, but have the whole
process take 36 hours.

Looking at a couple of my professional baking books, I find 1/4 oz. of cake
yeast equates to 1/2 teaspoon dry active and that they would use about 1
teaspoon per two pounds on a basic bread recipe with high gluten flour.

Bear

So... for a recipe that yields eight pounds of bread, I should use