[Sca-cooks] Feastocrate vs. Head Cook

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Fri Dec 13 20:49:56 PST 2002

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! Why not simply use chef? Chef appears to be
etymologically related to chief and capt = head. The Chef is the leader
of cooks. I am currious as to when chef actually came into use. I
agree that it may be quite recent and is only really descriptive in
the context of restaurant culture which is itself quite recent.

Autocrat (as opposed to its offspring) is a real word and is descriptive
of the function. In medieval times, this job might be performed by a
head butler of some sort.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |