[Sca-cooks] Beer-Cheese Soup was RE: 'Lainie bites back!

Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi apollonia at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 14 19:58:34 PST 2002

It's by Emeril, but my hubby doesn't bother with the tempura broccoli...

Apollonia, who is an authorized heavy fighter as of today...

Cheddar and Beer Soup with Tempura Broccoli Florets

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999.

4 ounces butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup minced onions
1/4 cup minced celery
Salt
Cayenne
1 (12-ounce) bottle light beer
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups whole milk
1 pound sharp cheddar, grated
Dash hot red pepper sauce
Tempura Broccoli Florets, recipe follows
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour
and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes to make a blond roux. Add the
onions and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 2
minutes or until the vegetables are wilted. Stir in the beer and stock.
Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Stir in the milk and cheese. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Season with
salt and hot sauce. Reduce the heat and keep warm.

To serve, ladle the soup into each bowl. Garnish with the Tempura Florets
and parsley.

Tempura Broccoli Florets:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup seltzer water
8 fresh broccoli florets, blanched

Preheat the fryer to 375 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, egg, and soda water.
Mix well to make a smooth batter. Season with salt and cayenne. Dip each
floret into the batter, shaking off any excess. Carefully add the battered
broccoli to the oil and fry until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and
drain on paper towels. Season with salt.

Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes

Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
Kingdom of Atlantia
www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

**Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.**