[Sca-cooks] horsemeat

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 15 18:42:49 PST 2002

Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 05:29 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>
>>Yes, the French do currently eat horsemeat. But did they in medieval
>>times? If you can give some referances that they did this, not
>>necessarily recipes, I'd like to get it. Perhaps they were only eaten
>>by the lower classes, because the meat was tougher or because of taste,
>>but I'd like to see the referances.Conversely if someone sees period
>>European writings that say that horsemeat should not be eaten
>>because...,
>>I'd like to get referances for that.
>
>How's this?
>
>"Household Accounts and Disbursements of Robert Dudley, Earl of
>Leicester, 1558-1561, 1584-1586"
>[Simon Adams, 1995.  ISBN 0-521-55156-0]
>
>There are numerous entries like the following:
>
>Item to Holland for horsemeat in Seint Johnes Streat }  xviijd.
>Item to Forest for his charges of horsemeat & his owne your lordship
>being at Christ Church }  xijd.
>Item to Currson for meat of a tyrd horse going to Horselye }  ijs.
>
>Then again, the following lines make me wonder if at least some of the
>references to "horsemeat" are meant to mean "food for the horses".

Possibly, dog food?

I STR reading somewhere about modern English aversions to horsemeat
being a throwback to the Evil Catholic Church's (tm) post-Norman
prohibition on eating horseflesh, since it was (allegedly) a facet of
the religious worship of some of the non-Christian Northern English,
in places like Yorkshire.

Adamantius