[Sca-cooks] ASL

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Dec 16 08:35:43 PST 2002

<grin>
no, i am hearing...
my mother is hearing, but works with the deaf and was a teacher at a deaf
school when she met dad.  my father is deaf from an early age (Scarlet
fever) and my brother was adopted and is deaf from biirth.. unknown reason,
could be genetic.
HIS wife is deaf from birth, genetic.. most of her family is deaf.

oddly, this brings us back to period.. diseases that we dont see as much of
(scarlet fever, for example) can leave you deaf, but otherwise ok... most of
the deafness we see today that is early onset (not age related) is in
association with other handicaps as well.. so you see more multi andicapped
deaf... and fewer "simply deaf"  although the genetically deaf are
increasing in number somewhat.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."