[Sca-cooks] tart crusts

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 16 09:26:35 PST 2002

- Doc> with using a water paste instead of a short crust to see if the filling would soften the crust up enough to make
it edible.  Sure enough, it did - though it wasn't as nice and flakey as a short crust can be.

> I think I need to get a couple proper tart pans and make a few more tarts.  If they work then I'll take pictures and
post them to the web.

Greetings,
I have been working on crusts too and if I may be so bold, I suggest a spring form pan. Like those for cheesecakes. The
benefits I have found is that you can make the pie as deep as you want, the bottom pops out, and you do not get those
tell tale flutings that indicate you have used a modern tart shell. Of course I have 2 tart shells and only one spring
form, so they all get used!

I noticed the shrinkage away from the edges of the pan also, I wonder why the water crusts do that? I would love to see
the crust recipit that you are working from and what you have come up with!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva