[Sca-cooks] Columbus/Ft Benning was Re: Re:nostalgia-OT OOP

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 16:36:47 PST 2002

Dear Olaf,
Ahhhh! The memories you have invoked.  Do you remember the Goodyear Fire?  My father was a rookie cop when that took place.  One of his first oil paintings was of that fire...  I have a pic of my Grandmother with "The Duke" when he came to make "The Green Beret".  Daddy was moonlighting as security with the movie company, and got her on the set.  When they met, he thought her absolutely delightful, and asked if he could kiss her.  She replied, "Why, Mr. Wayne, no one but my husband kisses me!"...  The Victory Drive In, (aka The Passion Pit) plays a large part in many of my childhood memories, including weeks of nightmares after seeing "The Buffalo Hunters."...  My family went to the fish house in Phenix City several times a year for big family get togethers...  The farmers market was one of my favorite places, all the wonderful produce, colors and scents like no other place in the world...  One veteran's day, I was at Benning, shooting some sort of riot gun, propped up on hay bales, when I was attacked by a hive of yellow jackets.  Now I am allergic to all sorts of bee and wasp venom.,,  Calloway Gardens, and my first serious sunburn (the flesh was cooked almost to the bone)...  Going to Idlewild park on the bus on my first date and sitting in the back of the bus kissing...Going across the bridge to Phenix city for REAL rootbeer at the Golden Rule Cafe...
Darn, I ain't thought of most of this stuff in years...
Mordonna
 Sudden Service #5 <sudnserv5 at netway.com> wrote:Hej! Mordonna,
This whole series of post have gotten me in a reflective mood, some of
this I should write down & save for my Granddaughter in case, as is common
with males of my family, (females tend to live to ripe old ages) I am not
around when she is old enough to want to hear about the old days or my view
of family history.
Some of the earliest memories of living in Columbus (about age 3) I have
was when they had weddings at the big brick church on the corner next to
the house I lived in. I would stand by the door of the hall where the
reception was going on & usually some lady would bring me in & give me cake.
Another memory was going to the local bakery with Mom, if I was good all
day I would get a Ginger Bread Man with raisins for eyes & buttons. I used
to see ghost in that old house. There was a string of thefts of toys &
money in my neighborhood- a skinny 6 year old had found he could slip into
houses through the dog/cat doors when no one was at home (he got my Zorro
outfit!).
I remember playing in the front yard with an older friend who was
digging in the dirt with the claw of a hammer-I no longer look over the
shoulder of any one who is using a hammer-I was hit over the right eye & had
a bruised brain. They gave me shots hourly for weeks to keep the blood from
clotting. There was a kid who had kicked a "cannon ball" oil warning light
in the hospital at the same time. You could hear the screams all over the
hospital when it was time to change his bandages.
My Dad's Father was a truck farmer who had started out as a share
cropper in Early County GA. He would bring up loads of peas, beans & corn
to sell at the Columbus Farmer's Market. That was where I first had
knowledge of what the "Colored" signs meant.
Going to Phoenix City to the "Family Style" fish house. You would get
a private room & they would bring you all the fried chicken, fish,
hushpuppies, cole slaw & french fries you could eat.
I remember riding my bike through the "fog" off the back of the truck
that sprayed DDT in Benning Park Army Housing (it's now a field, I guess
that the cost of rehabbing them was too high, although the Baker Apartments
are still in use).
Eating my first Chinese food at a place on the Strip outside of Main
Gate near the Catholic School. Going to Sunday School on base when they
sent busses around Housing to pick us up. Finding a copy of Playboy in the
Chaplin's office-"He must have just been reading the Articles" was the older
kids comment.
Of building a tree house in the tree of my yard, climbing to the top to
get mistletoe to sell door to door at Christmas time " a big bunch for just
a dime". Mrs. Powell at the South Side Boys Club teaching me how to make
ceramic ashtrays that the men my Father worked with bought for $2-5.
Being in plays at school when we were in elementary school-Mom making my
costumes that usually became my Halloween costume. Painting plaster Wolves,
Lions, Bob Cats & Bears heads for a project in Cub Scouts. Making Pine
Wood Derby cars for Scouts. Getting my own .410 shotgun when I was 8.
Saving all the money I could to be able to afford to go to a Boy Scout Camp
in the summer. Cutting grass with the mower I borrowed the money from Dad
for-$.25 for a small yard up to $1 for a large one- the highest was the $5 I
got from the guy who took 30 days leave one summer & had to have his grass
cut quick or lose Army housing. Dirt clod fights when it was -mostly- all
in good fun. Playing Army or Knight in the woods that were part of Benning
Park.
Mom making the best German Chocolate cakes, the enlisted wives would all
bake cakes & then auction them off at Christmas time to build up the
Company's slush fund (used to pay for flowers & help GI's if they got
stranded). One time Mom's cake brought $35, some of the guys thought it had
a 3 day pass under it.
Exploring the old "Infantry Museum" on base. Getting certificates from
shooting different guns (using blanks) on Veterans or Memorial Day
calibrations (M-1, M-16, M-30, M-60 & 50 Cal) or for riding in APC's.
My friends & I getting our first martial arts training by watching the
Rangers train to go to 'Nam. Guys singing "I want to be an Airborne Ranger-
I want to live the Life of Danger" at the top of their lungs as they ran
past our Main Base Housing on the way to the Jump Towers at 6 AM. Sgt Berry
Sadler performing at our school & Miss Sample my teacher breaking down
because her fiancé had recently been killed in 'Nam.
Meeting John Wayne at Calloway Gardens when he was filming "The Green
Berets". Having my first political discussion on the War with an adult, an
Asian visitor to an adult friends house & wondering if I should tell someone
about his "Anti-American" views.
Finding a room full of books in an unused section of the Youth Center in
the old Hospital, that contained my first SF books "Glory Road" & "John
Carter of Mars".
Coach Smith, our 7 & 8th grade PE, Science & Boys Health teacher
teaching us the difference between a physical change & a chemical change by
us making 10 gallons of Moonshine.
Much later, my first real job at 15 (I lied about my age) working in the
concession stand of Victory Drive In.
Sorry about the ramblings, I guess it is just that kind of day for me.
I do need to clean house & work on the menu for the Shakespeare feast I am
doing in April. I plan on doing the practice feast on Christmas Day for
friends & family, anyone on the list want to come? I am going to use the
"Dining with William Shakespeare"& "Eating Shakespeare" for the recipes.
Anyone have a suggested menu?
Pax,
Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord
who is off from school for winter break until 15 Jan & can spend some time
on line for a change.