A new twist! was Re: [Sca-cooks] remember the 'herbalist'?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 16 17:40:57 PST 2002

On 16 Dec 2002, at 16:40, Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

> Anybody want to alert the legal wranglers at U of C Press?
>
> Margaret, instigating

I was of two minds about that.  Then I went to check something on
her site.  There is now a tirade about us mean people (with a few
quotes from her friends) on the main page of her site.

http://www.alternative-beauty.com/
Scroll down to "on the flip side".  Take your blood pressure
medication (if any) before reading.

Most of their comments are along the lines of
1. An academic degree doesn't give one the right to be mean to
other people
2. and a degree doesn't really mean anything, anyway.

The latter is an 180 degree turn from her earlier contention that only
someone with a PhD in a relevant field could offer up a valid
criticism.

The concluding paragraph is:

"So here's the point. Holiday season or not, people need to support
each other, respect each other; not play judge and jury. We all
learn at different paces and in different ways. And WE ALL feel hurt
when others are unkind or unfair whether we call it 'intellectual
debate' or just downright spite. These things still hurt other people
and, these are things we all have the ability to change. The 'old
school' ideal of texts and intellects is becoming obsolete as people
collectively realize that we do not function head separated from
heart - but we function best as a WHOLE using both head and
heart. Differences of opinion aside- we are all a part of the same
family."

I somewhat suspect that the U of Chicago adheres to "the 'old
school' ideal of texts and intellects".  And no, I'm not volunteering
to write the letter.

Brighid, just another dabbling old crone with a degree in "Library
Science"  :-)

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net