[Sca-cooks] Early Christmas gift - Woot!

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Dec 16 19:14:04 PST 2002

Phillipa, most of the places that have good Eliz/Tudor clothing or
paintings *don't* let you take pictures.  The V&A was a great exception
to that, but they've packed away all of their 16th c. clothes (got some
ratzin-fratzin ball gown exhibit in the same space).
The MoL has some cool stuff, Gunthar, although no piccies allowed.
Lesseee....National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery are completely
cool, and they're close to each other on Trafalgar Square, although I
think there's some major road work going on in that area.....No pictures
allowed there, either.  The Costume Museum in Bath was completely !@#@!
amazing, but once again, no pics.  *grump*
National Gallery has probably the best postcard collection I saw when I
was there this past summer...and a lot of good books, too (dear *gawd*
did I ever spend money there!).  MoL has a small bookstore, with some
nice texts, and some fun ones for kids ("Terrible Tudors" sort of
thing).
Phillipa, I did get some pictures from the textile rooms at the V&A with
my digital camera (got some half-way decent stuff from the Islamic
exhibit on the main floor, too), if you're interested in period
needlework....<g>
--Maire, needlework and food lover...