[Sca-cooks] nostalgia-OT OOP (with recipe)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Dec 17 09:31:04 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Daniel Myers wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 10:39 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:
>
> > Not me, man....My mom was a "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook owner.
> > It had some sort of 3-ring binder setup, IIRC.  I *miss* that old
> > thing...it's what I learned to cook from (I don't know that I ever had
> > kid-specific cookbook).
>
> The one really good aspect of that cookbook is that the recipes it
> provides are almost stereotypes.  The potato salad recipe for example
> may not be the best or the most fancy one, but every person who tries
> it will take one taste and say "Yep, that's potato salad."
>
> - Doc

My mother had one, and rescued a partial one from somebody's trash pile in
the alley, and bought another at the library book sale. We took all of
them apart, and assembled one complete cookbook (Mom's), one mostly
complete cookbook, sans about half the index (mine) and then the leftovers
went to my sister. Now that Mom is gone, I think I may claim the original,
and hand off my copy to my sister.

The rhubarb cream pie recipe is still *the* rhubarb pie as far as my
family is concerned.

And, IIRC, BHG still prints recipe pages in the magazine with the spots
for the holes marked, so you can put them in your binder.

Margaret