[Sca-cooks] Kiwi Cooking [was]Early Christmas gift

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 17 14:20:42 PST 2002

Greetings,

Well, I had to go get the little book that I have. It is entitled "Kiwi Cook Book"

The first chapter is soups and there are three soups that have the respective names of Toheroa, Paua and Pipi. These are
apparently seafoods indigenous to New Zealand. I thought these names sounded very silly. There are also recipes for
things called Kina, and Pukaki.

There are seven recipes for deserts, two of them involve grapefruits (not terribly desserty to me) and one is for
sugared Tamarillos.

The main thing that made me laugh when reading this cookbook was the recipe for Pukaki and Swan. The discussion on swan
includes the following:
"Most hunters find the meat of swan rather strong, but a young swan can be very tasty if properly cooked. An almost
infallible test is to press the beak between the fingers. If the beak snaps then the swan will be good eating"
The very idea of eating swan is funny to me. I know one person that bought swans to swim around in the pond on their
property. I think they spent several hundred dollars on them. So, the idea of walking up to one and trying to squish
it's beak is very funny.

I think that my parents went out of their way to find something fun. The pictures in it are very out of date and the
copyright date is 1968. I am pretty sure there is another one, but I cannot dig it out just now.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

> Serena da Riva commented:
> > This has resulted in me having some pretty darn interesting cookbooks. The ones from New Zealand are a hoot.

Stefan> Why?