[Sca-cooks] Questions on US Edu. Culture

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 11:02:11 PST 2002

I can answer a few of these:

 Giles> Excellent, thanks. I was thinking more of other terms, what is:
> Homecoming (and where have they been?)
The American Football team for each school plays both at their own school and then travles to other schools (no "home
court" advantage. Fairly late in the season most teams will have a string of 4 -5 games "on the road" and the first game
that is played at their own school is celebrated as the "Homecoming".

> Commencement (doesn't his happen at the end of the school year?)
No clue why it is called that.

> Freshman
Name for one in 9th grade
> Sophomore
...10th grade, Junior equals 11th grade and Senior equals 12th grade.

> letterman
Someone who has excelled in the sport of their choice for several years and is given a big letter that they can wear on
a jacket that signifies that they have excelled in the sport.

> varsity
Varsity is the first string players - usually made up of Juniors & Seniors. Junior Varsity is the second string and made
up of players that did not play well enough to make Varsity.

> the terrifying ritual of the pep assembly/rally (as in Grease or Heathers)
Supposedly gets you excited for the upcoming game. Never understood it myself.

> The even more baffling rituals of the road trip and spring break
Road trip - I have no clue. Spring break is a break in school during the spring, usually a week long. Usually just after
midterm tests.

> What purpose do fraternities/sororities have and why are they named after
> strings of Greek letters?
No clue.

> Why does everyone get so worked up about cheerleaders? (Vacuous *and* loud
> doesn't seem to be a combination to laud, to me)
Ummm, really no clue. But I believe it has something to do with short skirts, tight sweaters and lots of bouncing up and
down.

> Do kids ever bring their lunch to school?
I did.

> SAT's
Scholarship Aptitude Test. A test that you take that is supposed to indicate how well you will do in higher education. A
good score will get you into better schools. A bad score can keep you out of better schools.

> Ivy league
No clue, some non-southerner will have to explain this.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva