[Sca-cooks] Torta de Cerase

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Dec 18 11:44:23 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Calderwood" <mark-c at acay.com.au>
<<SNIP>>>
> My redaction
> Crust
> I used a standard pate brisee recipe from Redon et al, which uses
only
> 125g. Blind bake for approx 10 mins to ensure a firm base and let
cool.

> Filling
> approx 700-750g fresh cherries, the darkest and plumpest available
> 2-3 red roses

I had a go at these tarts on two occasions with gret success as an
individual tart, and acceptable, though not great baked in sheet pans
for large numbers.

My redaction is below.  I used rosewater as subsitute for the rose
petals as they were not readily available when I made them.  I would
think the flavor is close, but will use the petals if available.  New or
Soft cheese, I used farmer cheese (IIRC), and the aged I used a
semi-soft like  butter cheese available in this area.  I decided that
the hard cheese would not make the texture at which I wanted to aim.  I
chopped the cherries, and added some reconstituted dry ones to intensify
the flavor of some rather average tasting fruit.  I used the sugar as a
spice instead of a sweetner as I read the recipe to say it was a spice
like cinnamon and pepper.  the result was a fruity tasting, though not
entirely sweet custard.  Sweeter cherries would have given a little more
sweetness as well.

1 lb. Sour cherries
8 ounces fresh/soft cheese
2 oz  grated semi soft cheese
.25 tsp. Powdered ginger
.25 tsp cinnamon (zeylanicum)
pinch ground black pepper
2 Tbl white sugar
6 eggs
dash of rose water (to taste)

Pastry crust (made with one half pound butter) (used pate brisee type
crust with the 8 ounces butter . . . see Alton Brown recipes if you need
one)

Coarsely grind cherries in mortar or food processor, or chop coarsely
with knife.  Mix together cheeses, sugar, spices and eggs.  Add cherries
and rosewater.  Pour into prepared, pre-baked pastry shell as one pie or
as several tarts.  Bake at 350F until just set and it moves as one mass
when jiggled, about 40 minutes; do not overcook!  Remove from over and
sprinkle immediately with fine sugar and a dash of rosewater.

I also had a brownish red as well, which was more reddish after
cooking.  The 6 eggs made a somewhat stiff tart.  I did not reduce the
eggs, but adjusted the type and amount of cheese used.  Since the recipe
went to the trouble of specifying an exact number of eggs, I figured
that was not an error, and that the other ingredients would be the key
to the tart modifications.

I disagree with your decision to reduce number of eggs for your desired
texture.  I would suggest changing the cheese types or amounts to get
different results.  I mean, it ain't often we get exact figures to start
with.  I believe the whole eggs is correct as the yolks will assist in
maintaining the emulsification of the cheeses (preventing separation)
and enrich the 'custard'.

I am glad to hear of someone out there taking a whack at this.  My
first shot was in 2000 about 3 months of publication, and there was no
one out there to compare with :o(  Came out well, and I am pleased with
having a new desserty item that isn't so very sweet.  Heck, even MY
mileage may very on this one :o)

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco