Digression (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Torta de Cerase)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 18 17:09:02 PST 2002

Also sprach Daniel Myers:

>>>Yuk.  You must be one of them weird New England people.  ;-)
>>
>>Not just no, but HELL no! I'm a Noo Yawkuh, remember?
>
>Yeah, but to everyone outside of the north east New York is part of New
>England - why else would it have "New" in the name! <gdr>

By that logic, so is New Mexico in New England. I realize you're
kidding, and logic has no place here, but, New York is considered by
New Yorkers, i.e. the only people whose opinion counts in this
matter, to be a Middle Atlantic state, like New Jersey, Delaware, and
Maryland. Possibly people from way upstate New York may have more
culturally in common with Vermont, though.

>(and by the same logic, North Carolina is a northern state - just ask
>any South Carolinian)

There _does_ seem to be this idea that wherever you live is the de
facto Mason-Dixon line, and that anybody who lives even a few feet
north of you is a Yankee.

Adamantius