[Sca-cooks] School tradition was...Re: bundt cake?

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Wed Dec 18 19:20:15 PST 2002

Ok just to complicate matters a little bit...
See below...

Randall Cook of Northpass wrote:

Freshman

>First year of college/university. Second year is sophomore, third is junior,
>fourth is senior.

Also of present day High Schoolers it is a ranking type of system to
identify what year of school you are in.  Freshman being 1st year
students to the High School usually (or at least in my day), 9th
graders. 10th graders were sophomores (Unsure of the name though.) 11th
graders are 3rd years and about to leave and thus called Juniors.  12th
graders are the 4th year (In theory) students, this is there (In theory)
final year.  (Nope I graduated on time but I did know some Seniors that
had been Seniors for 3 years. )

>>letterman
>>varsity
>>

>These go together. Varsity teams are the elite players in any given sport;
>members of the varsity teams are allowed to wear the school's initial on their
>jacket, and are therefore "lettermen".

Sigh.... Yes you can be a letterman in Football.  to "Letter" in
something you are supposed to be a senior and have played a particular
sport for your high school career. I.e. Freshman-Senior.  And this is
the most common.  However you can also Letter in Baseball, Basketball,
Track, Tennis, and any other sports your school offers.
BUT You can also Letter in other fields as well.  For example I was a
drummer in the High School band.  (LOL the only white boy in the squad.)
((And ok I was in band from 7th grade on)) ANYWAYS!  I "lettered" in band.
What lettering means is that as a student you dedicated your life to an
extracurricular activity for four whole years and thus you were offered
the ability of status by having a jacket in your schools colors (Which
anyone could buy) But You were offered the schools initials (Usually
paid for by the school) (Which not everyone could buy readily) to have
sewn onto the front of said jacket.   In addition you could get other
things on said jacket... I personally had a Lyre on the back of mine as
I lettered in band.  Basically it was YES I HAVE SCHOOL SPIRIT.  Type of
thing.

Varsity Team is in contrast to the Junior Varsity team.  The JV Team is
only Freshman and Sophomores football players.  (My thinking was this
was to train the guys for the real rough and tumble of Varsity.)  The
Varsity Team was I think open to everyone but was usually only Juniors
and Seniors To be a freshman on Varsity You either had to be really good
or really big or both.  Same for sophomores.  I could be wrong on this
though and it was just Juniors and Seniors.  I have always thought this
was a safety issue basically.  But then again what did I know I was in
the band and was barely conscious of the game going on as I was to busy
drumming for the cheerleaders (In time to their cheers not to their
boobs thank you very much!!!!) and playing music in the stands.

>>the terrifying ritual of the pep assembly/rally (as in Grease or Heathers)
>>

>That's beyond me. I went to a science honors high school - we didn't have
>sports teams or pep rallies.

The pep rally is usually held before "Home" Games.  (Games played at
your high school as opposed to away games which are held at the opposing
teams school).
The purpose of the pep rally is to build school spirit, bolster up the
team, let the coaches say a few words about how they think our team is
going to whomp the other team, and let the band and cheerleaders perform
some songs and cheers.  Basically think of it as about a thirty minute
party to try and coerce all non sports folks to come to the game that
night and support the school, and get all the sports folks excited about
the event that night.   Now I am not sure how representable Grease is of
a modern day pep rally but Heathers is pretty decent albeit from a
rather eschewed view.

>>The even more baffling rituals of the road trip and spring break
>>

>S'OK, baffles me too.

Well I always thought it was an excuse to give us more homework to turn
in, but it seems that Spring break is generally given prior to Easter
break and it is because of the lack of holidays between Christmas/ New
Years and Easter. It is given to the students since they figure that
they are getting antsy being cooped up for more than a month at a time.
 (Or at least that is what it seems like)   Sometimes in High School
this break coincides with Easter.  Other times it does not.  In college
they also have a fall break which has always seemed redundant to me...
but they have it none the less.

Road trips (Hah Been there done that.)  Ok these can happen at any point
in your life but generally when your are in High School or College.  It
generally stems from having a bit of free time either over the weekend
or over a break or just because (yep they have even skipped middle of
the week classes for a road trip.) ((Not myself personally)) I have
always attributed this to the freedom of having access or owning a car.
 It is a sign of being a younger person and wanting to go away from the
parents (Or in the case of college everything!) for a day,weekend,week,
year.... The idea is to go somewhere that is "not where you live."
 During High School (well at least for me) it involved alot of beer and
liquor and partying.  During College it seemed to involve alot of beer
(cheaper than liquor same effect).  Road trips around here seem to end
up ending at Myrtle Beach SC. Although they have been known to stop at
Charleston SC and even Fla.  But generally those road trips were people
with some cash flow.  Us working class students went to Myrtle.

>>What purpose do fraternities/sororities have and why are they named after
>>strings of Greek letters?
>>

>They're supposedly organizations of people with similar interests who form
>close-knit societies. The actual meaning of the letters is generally a close
>kept secret, revealed as part of the initiation process. The Greek is a
>tradition dating back to the first "fraternity", Phi Beta Kappa, the National
>Honor Society. Why Greek? Damned if I know. At least one frat, ZBT (Zeta Beta
>Tau) actually started out as Zayin Beth Tov (Hebrew letters), a Jewish
>brotherhood. The changed to the Greek equivalents when they started spreading
>to schools beyond the first local chapter.

Now this one I cannot answer as I majored in theatre at a school that
did not have many Fraternities But it seemed to me to be a group that
partied like mad on just about every day of the week for alot of silly
reasons.

>>Why does everyone get so worked up about cheerleaders? (Vacuous *and* loud
>>doesn't seem to be a combination to laud, to me)
>>

>Don't ask me, man... I'm gay, so I'm immune to their "charms" anyway.

I think the whole idea is that they are supposed to be the prettiest
representatives of the school...  The vacuous and loud is a combo that I
agree with.
Now the myth is that they are they "easiest" girls in school. (IF you
are a sports ((In particular football)) participant) Not true at all but
that is the myth and when you are in high school or college and male it
seems that you will believe anything to achieve the ultimate goal of
losing your virginity.  That and they wear shorts skirts and jump around
alot.
Shucks I got a ton of "Oh you must be gay" comments when I was a
cheerleader in Middle School (Junior High) My answer was always the
same... hmmm I get to catch the girls who wear the short skirts, I get
to hang out with the girls who wear the short skirts, I get to ride to
and from the games with the girls in the short skirts... While you hang
around with the guys that butt heads and pat each other on the a$$, Yeah
I must be gay...... Dude I am looking up your girlfriends dress!!!!!
DUH!!!!!!
Oh sorry Oink Oink a bit of my chauvinistic side coming through...

>>Do kids ever bring their lunch to school?
>>

>I did, all the way through high school. At university, since I lived in the
>dorms and didn't have a kitchen, I bought a meal plan and ate in the dining
>hall.

It seems to be a rarity hear in Greenville SC.
I always bought my lunch once I entered high school.

>>SAT's
>>

>Scholastic Aptitude Test, I believe the initials are. It's a standardized
>examination to quantitate verbal and mathematical skills. It is NOT as highly
>weighted in the application process as most kids fear.

>Randall Cook of Northpass (soon to be "of Sudentur")
>     (formerly Avraham haRofeh)
>     mka Randy Goldberg MD
>__

Nichola