[Sca-cooks] Quince thoughts

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Dec 18 19:36:12 PST 2002

Nancy Kiel responded:
> Martha Washington's Book of Cookery has quite a few quince receipts, <

    Cool,  I have excerpts from this book  -- maybe next year I can put it
on my "gift list."  I have seen quince recipes throughout some of the older
texts, and wish i had gotten some for a lamb dish I served at a feast last
summer  {I used pear puree}

  >Out of curiousity, why did you add apple juice?  I have always used water
as the liquid, or once red wine.<

        Coz I had it on hand, and the poached dish was a mix of pippins &
quinces {that idea of substituting  quince for apples in recipes} that came
out very yummy.  I used just enough to cover, and used very little sugar.
Now the resulting puree is sitting in the fridge, in a sealed container, but
I want to make sure it "keeps."  I may want to use some for an A&S entry in
May.

    Caointiarn  {still wondering about that "horned melon'}