[Sca-cooks] Brawn in peuerade - Pre-Redaction Questions

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 21:31:53 PST 2002

> Adamantius> I just noticed this, in case it's an issue. The recipe you're working with is for an "auter Braune in
Peuorade", or some such. It's for  _another_ Brawn in Pevorade, and follows a previous recipe for Brawne in Pevorade in
the manuscript source. That recipe, which I won't quote here unless it's screamingly necessary

Who needs to type, <cut and paste>
.xxxj. Brawn en Peuerade.--Take Wyne an powder Canel, and draw it thorw a straynour, an sette it on the fyre, and lette
it boyle, an caste ther-to Clowes, Maces, an powder Pepyr; than take smale Oynonys al hole, an par-boyle hem in hot
watere, an caste ther-to, and let hem boyle to-gederys; than take Brawn, an lesshe it, but nowt to thinne. An if it
sowsyd be, lete it stepe a whyle in hot water tyl it be tendere, than caste it to the Sirip; then take Sawnderys, an
Vynegre, an caste ther-to, an lete it boyle alle to-gederys tyl it be y-now; then take Gyngere, an caste ther-to, an so
serue forth; but late it be nowt to thikke ne to thinne, but as potage shulde be.

I believe you are correct Master A! Thank you for pointing this out to me. In the first you are just par-boiling the
onions in water and the second you are par-boiling in the vinegar and cinnamon. That would make a big difference. I was
thinking that the pureed onion would thicken the sauce, but the "lykour" should do that just fine. I was also worried
that by boiling the onions in vinegar there would be way too much vinegar. But if the straining is just to remove the
onions from the liquid then the vinegar that the onions retain should not be too overpowering.

The other major difference, I believe is the, pre-roasting of the meat. The "auter" recipe emphasizes "Fresh" meat and
the first just says meat. The first mentions if it is "sowsyd" and I looked it up in Cindy's glossary and she has:

Souse, sowse =
1- (noun) A kind of sauce. The title 'Piglet Souse' refers to earlier recipes for a sauce for piglet offal (Scully
1988). The alternative title 'Parsley Souse' better matches the recipe in the manuscript. The recipe is in Le Viandier.
(Viandier)
2- (verb) to pickle.
3- (noun) liquid used for pickling
4- (verb) to cover in liquid or liquor; immerse, drench.
5- (noun) pickled pig's (or other animal's) parts
6- (noun) a pickle or condiment.

So I am guessing it is telling you to soak the meat if it has been preserved. I will be using fresh meat (of course) so
I do not think this is an issue.

Finally, the first recipe calls for ginger while the second calls for saffron, salt and the wine, bread, vinegar
mixture. Another big difference I would think.

As far as me saying beef, this is for a specific event, and I already have more pork than I should. I was going on the
assumption that Brawn = meat and that I could have a bit of a fudge factor. I would think that there was a high
possibility that they would be talking about mutton, but I agree it should probably be pork. Do you think beef is to far
of a stretch?

Thank you for talking me through this. It really helps!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva