[Sca-cooks] SAD

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 19 22:41:31 PST 2002

Brigit asked:
> I was reading an article in 'Psychology Today" on
> Seasonal Affliction Disorder.  And the main cure for
> it was vitamins.   This got me thinking.  Was there
> such a problem in the medeaval diate?  (sorry I am an
> awful speller) and did the dieate really change from
> summer to winter?  especially in more northernly
> regions like Briton.

Yes. Definitely. Both in southern and northern Europe. And until at
least the middle of the 20th century when refrigeration and fast
shipping became available. Even today, while you can often find foods
that are "out of season" for your area, because they have been shipped
in from elsewhere, the price for these food items will be higher.

You might want to look at this file for some more details:

food-seasons-msg  (11K)  9/21/00    When various foods were in season.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-seasons-msg.html

Also, many foods were preserved for eating at other times of the
year than when they were available fresh. These preservation techniques
(drying, salting, pickling, smoking and others) tend to affect things
like the texture and taste of foods. Various cooking and presentation
techniques developed to either cover up or take advantage of these
changes. The lately mentioned "lutefisk" being one of these preserved
foods. Check some of the files in the FOOD and the FOOD-MEATS sections
of the Florilegium for more details.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com