[Sca-cooks] Brawn?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 20 06:33:13 PST 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>Ok, dumb question? What part of the beastie is brawn?
>-- Jadwiga

Yes.

Um, the linguistic implication seems to be that it is from the...
umm... brawny part of the animal. IOW, the breasts of poultry, the
legs and shoulders of quadrupeds, etc. Of course, in some cases, such
as when they're talking about a collar of brawn made from a small
pig, it can be a whole or half animal, deboned. I can't imagine a
pile of several chicken thigh "oysters" constituting brawn, though. I
can't think, offhand, of a single case where the term brawn is
applied to anything but a big ol' hunk of meat, even if it is later
processed into smaller bits, so I would say that lets out smaller
meat portions such as poultry wings, pigs' feet, tongues (except ox,
perhaps), tenderloins, etc.

The easy, copout answer is that it probably varies by animal.

Adamantius