[Sca-cooks] Report from England

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 15:03:06 PST 2002

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> She also scored a major coup in the Museum of
> London. She managed to sweet-talk a curator,
> who
> cleared it with Sir "Soandso" to take
> photographs
> of the Medieval and Tudor collections. She
> thinks
> they were shocked that an American, even worse
> an
> American from Arizona, would be able to discuss
> the
> Cheapside Horde collection.

Oh, I don't know about that ... Many years ago,
three Caidan knights and their wives/so's went to
England together.  When one couple was touring
the Tower of London, a curator was changing the
armor
display.  Of course, Sir Martin became glued to
what he was doing.  Neptha left him to see the
rest, while Martin watched, drooled and
apparently made comments like "Okay, that is how
you should properly attach the vambrace!"  The
curator, thinking that he was a scholar or
curator from America, started talking to him and
was very intrigued when he described the SCA to
him.  The curator then invited Martin to come
back the next day and come to the work room where
he could have a "hands-on" examination of the
various suits of armor that weren't currently on
display. Martin asked if he could bring two
friends and the curator said that that would be
okay.  When the three couples got together that
night to share their experiences, of course,
Martin's story generated the most excitement ...
amongst the men, that is.  So everyone changed
their plans for the next day, the men spent the
day immersed in period armor and the women went
off together to do all the stuff that their men
were grumping about doing and a good time was had
by all.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.