[Sca-cooks] OT - New England and New York

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Dec 21 20:36:26 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Thank you!
>
> I'm certainly not going to compare us to people in Boston, where I've
> never been, or anyplace else. But we consider it normal to go out of our
> way to be helpful, especially to a visitor, and usually just hear how
> rude we all are... :-(  It's nice to be acknowledged!
>
> Anne
>
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>

> > And the New York City people, IMHO, were much more polite that what
> >
> > I found further north. Several times folks went out of their way to
> > be helpful. In Boston, on the other hand, and especially in one
> > fast food resturant downtown, I got a different impression.
> > --
> > THLord Stefan li Rous

I'm wondering how much is actual rudeness, and how much might be our own
"rude" perception. When the posting on the List came over, I was spending a
few days at a friend's place in NJ, very close to where one poster was
talking about how rude everyone in that area was, due to the influence of
NYC. I was finding that, other than on the road (and as far as I'm
concerned, ALL these Yankees need a remedial driving course- they're
NUTZ!!!!), almost everybody I talked to was very pleasant, from shopkeepers,
to fellow customers, to chance encountered folk in the parking lots, waiting
staff, even collectors at toll booths- in fact almost everybody was very
pleasant. I think the only exception was one guy who was scowling at the
world- I just hoped (to myself) he got that hemorrhoid operation soon.

I've also made a couple of ventures into New York state, although not the
city yet, since I've been here, and while I was mostly in places where I had
limitted contact with the local people (events, visiting friends), on those
few contacts I did make, I was always greeted with a smile and a friendly
tone of voice.

I suspect that if we find ourselves surrounded by grouches, we might want to
look at our own attitudes first.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,