[Sca-cooks] Marrow fat (Was goose fat)

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Dec 24 15:45:35 PST 2002

Tallow dips are made just like those colonial(am.) hand-dipped candles,
but you use tallow (beef fat) instead of wax or paraffin (petroleum
substitute for wax).
"lamps" are a stone or ceramic shallow dish, with wick/s (one or more) laid
from center to edge and tallow/fat poured over. once lit the wick will melt
enough of he fat to move up the wick and provide light or heat- these tend
to be rather smoky and smelly, no doubt why wax candles were preferred. but
sooooo authentic!
Betsy (not called Pyro for no reason)