[Sca-cooks] Marrow fat (Was goose fat)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 24 16:47:22 PST 2002

Baron Akim mentioned and asked:

> Yes, goose fat is wonderful for flavouring things, but my personal
> favorite is to get nice bones from the butcher and roast them on
> a baking pan and feast on the wonderful marrow.  This always
> leaves a cup or two of clear fat in the pan, so I strain out imputities
> and put it in a stoneware jar in the fridge.  I use it like butter (usually
> 1/2 and 1/2) in flavouring soups and stews or frying.
> Any other marrow lovers out there?

I don't know if I like it or not. I'm not really sure how much I've had. Never
any straight, by itself. I'm not at all sure I would like that. I don't think
I was aware of its use in cooking until this list.
I think the period recipes just say "marrow". Do we know if this marrow was
roasted as Akim mentions above, or whether it was meant to be used raw?
Akim, are you mixing the marrow with something else (1/2 and 1/2) when you say
you use it like butter? Or do you mean you use half of your marrow like butter
and the other half you use to flavor soups and stews?

For those who might be interested in previous comments and information on the use of marrow, there is this file in the Florilegium:

marrow-msg        (22K)  1/14/02    Getting bone marrow. Recipes with marrow.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/marrow-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com