[Sca-cooks] Soya

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 24 21:22:01 PST 2002

Also sprach Maggie MacDonald:
>I really enjoy Pearl River Bridge too. It's from mainland china, and to me
>it has a stronger nutty, less sweet, and less overpowering salty flavor.
>The "regular" one is the "Superior Light Soy Sauce".  I forget why, but the
>"light" is the one thats 'normal cooking stuff'.  They also have it in
>mushroom (which I still haven't gotten around to trying).

The mushroom type (which appears to be somewhere in between light and
heavy/dark in grade, apart from its mushroom-y-ness) is the only type
from this brand that I've tried. It's a good fried rice soy sauce,
but it would be wasted in something like red-cooking meats, and is a
little too heavy for most table use.

Around our house, either because of brand tastes and/or prejudices of
the local Kwangtung-va/American community (my mother-in-law can
apparently detect flavor nuances peculiar to foods made by Communists
;-)  ), the approved brand is Koon Chun, with its distinctive yellow,
blue, and red label (yes, just like Superman). The dark is malty
without being ridiculously sweet (although there are really several
grades for different purposes, not just light and dark), and the
light is tangy, not excessively salty, and just a little winey.

Adamantius