[Sca-cooks] Slaughtering

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 01:27:56 PST 2002

We never let the domestic animals we butchered "hang".  Deer were sometimes taken to an ice house and hung, but not always.  Small animals, such as poultry, rabbits, and squirrels were always eaten the day they were killed, or frozen.  Larger animals, such as hogs and cows, were cut up and stored.  Frozen, salted, smoked, or refrigerated.  I would guess that part of that was because in the South you can never count on the weather staying cold for any length of time.  Blow flies were always a problem, too.
Hmm, it's been a LONG time since I had freshly killed squirrel, gravy, and biscuits for breakfast.  We lived in a pecan orchard.  Most mornings in late fall I could get up at first light, reach in the gun locker, get my .410 and shoot breakfast from my bedroom window.  Seldom took more than one shot per squirrel.  Now THAT was good eatin'.  Often got rabbits grazing in my garden the same way.  Or I'd set snares, and go out at first light and collect breakfast.  Yum, yum.
Mordonna

 Wanda Pease <wandap at hevanet.com> wrote:Okay, I have to admit that I haven't been deliberately directly responsible
for the death of a mammal that I've eaten (fish deserve to die if they are
stupid enough to go after a plastic worm I'm borely dangling in the river or
ocean). If I could be sure I'd do it quickly and cleanly, and I didn't have
to look it in the face first, I think I could manage.

Question for Marilyn though: You say you've killed the piglet outside the
kitchen then cooked and eaten it. So pork doesn't need to be hung before
eating? I know we always gutted and "cooled out our deer before we took
them home for skinning and butchering (the local VFW had a charity they gave
the hides to who tanned them and made gloves and moccasins). Then they went
into the local meat locker company who hung them for about a week and
butchered it for us. I thought this was standard practice for most large
animals to help with tenderization.

Regina

Well, don't know about other folks on the list [except phlip's
willingness;-)] but we have upon occasion been responsible for a few random
lonely navy guys *ahem* rather enduring memories about exactly HOW fresh
their thanksgiving turkey was;-)

Only really had problems with one guy...although the expression on his face
was priceless when Rob and Gil got up, grabbed a khyber sword from the wall
and announced they were getting the turken and did he want to help...
margali

the quote starts here:

I know several on this list who wouldn't hesitate for a minute, but are we
the far end of the curve? As the Centre is a working farm, we thought
nothing of shooting a fat
piglet right outside the kitchen and serving it up hours later at feast with
no complaints.

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt