[Sca-cooks] cooking geese

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Wed Dec 25 02:43:05 PST 2002

Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:

>1. prick skin all over, especially near thigh and breast, without peircing
>meat.
>2. plunge into boiling water for about one minute, or until "goose bumps"
>form.  (i had to do half the bird, then flip it)
>3. pat dry and return to fridge for 24 - 48 hours

I've also read this for geese. The scalding (my instructions did specify
half immersion neck end first, then tail end second) and then
drying/cooling makes the skin tighten up, which helps squeeze the fat
out from under the skin and out all those little drain holes you pierced
(they suggested running a skewer under the skin, above and parallel to
the flesh, much like pinning with a sewing needle). Also, don't _cover_
the goose in the fridge. It dries better that way.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at mind.net
"Je suis, je sais, je sers!"