[Sca-cooks] Squirrels - recipe - oop - long

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 09:56:12 PST 2002

Well, the ones I shot in the pecan orchard were, for the most part, fatter, and more tender than the "wild" ones that hadn't been eating quite so high on the hog, so to speak.  They taste a lot like wild rabbit, but a bit gamier, in my opinion.  I guess, as far as gamey flavor, I'd rank them like this:
1. Domestic Chicken (not gamey at all)
2. Domestic Rabbit
3. Pecan Orchard Squirrels
4. Wild Rabbit
5. Wild Squirrel
6. Raccoon
7. Possum
With Whitetail deer somewhere between Wild Rabbit and Raccoon.  (Depends on what they've been eating)
The pecan orchard squirrels would probably dress out at a pound and a half to two pounds of dressed, bone-in  meat.  Say six small pieces.  Ten if you joint the legs. (too much trouble for too little meat on the forelegs)  About the size of a small cat.  Wild ones, in a drought year, maybe three fourths of a pound.  More than a quail, but a bit less than a rabbit.
For a good breakfast:
1. Kill a squirrel or rabbit.
2. Nail it to a board and skin and gut it, removing the head, feet, and tail.
3. Check rabbit livers for Tularemia.  If spots show up, throw rabbit away, sealed so the dogs can't get it, and wash your hands in a disinfectant solution.
4. Wash well, cut into pieces, and put in salt water for 10-15 minutes while you heat the lard.
5. Dredge in flour, salt, and pepper.
6. Pan fry in about 2 inches of hot lard until done all the way through.  (NEVER serve wild game rare.)
7. Put on a pan of biscuits.
8. Put on a pot of grits.
9. Put on a pot of coffee.
10. Drain grease from pan, reserving 2 TBS.
11. Add 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup water, reserved grease, salt and pepper back to pan and put pan back on fire.
12. When it begins to boil, add 3 TBS. corn starch dissolved in  1/4 cup cold water.
13. Take up biscuits and gravy, set table, pour coffee, then wake grumpy up for breakfast.  Well, if you want a good breakfast, maybe you better leave that last part out.
Mordonna

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt