[Sca-cooks] oil and salt

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Dec 25 14:24:31 PST 2002

At 02:20 PM 12/25/02,A F Murphy said something like:
>Why?
>
>I know salt is used as a preservative, so why would something salted be
>more likely to go rancid than something unsalted? I do know that it
>preserves mostly by removing water, so I guess it wouldn't actually help
>preserve fat, but how would it make it worse?
>
>Anne

I don't know the chemical explanation, but from working in a fish and
potatoes store for many years, I know that salt breaks down the fats much
more quickly. Whether it ruptures the cell membrane or exactly what it is,
I'm not sure.

Once you get salt in your oil vats though, its just breaks down and gets
quit nasty very quickly.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.