[Sca-cooks] OT:new question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 25 18:18:09 PST 2002

Also sprach alm4 at cornell.edu:
>Merry Christmas Everyone,
>
>The other day a bunch of us were sitting around making fun of the men in
>our lives food habits.
>
>We were talking about boiling water for spagetti and we were all
>wondering why we were all taught to boil cold salted water instead of Hot
>salted tap water.
>
>I know why it's true for boiling meat for broth/soup, but why for spagetti?
>
>Anybody know?  Were we dreaming about this?

In general, there seems to be a prejudice against hot water from any
source other than the cold tap, heated on the stove, going into your
body. Hot water from the tap seems to be okay for washing dishes,
laundry, body, etc., but if it goes in your mouth, there seems to be
this idea that cold water is somehow cleaner than hot water. Maybe
there are funky mineral deposits in the hot water heater tank or
something.

Adamantius, whose hot water tap is actually hot enough to brew tea, in a pinch