[Sca-cooks] Christmas Dinner

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 21:08:37 PST 2002

Well for once WE, as in my parents, nor I nor any of
our stateside relatives went overseas! Instead we had
about a dozen people come over here from Austria,
Switzerland and Italy and Monaco. What fun!!
When half of your fathers family are diplomats and
various crowned and uncrowned nobles and your mothers
half of the family are known to support the IRA and
other such organizations it makes for a very tense and
interesting time at the airport security terminal!!!

After we finally got home with everyone intact and
intow, we got settled at my aunts home, went to church
(I prayed fervently for a peaceful visit!!!) a brief
supper and bed for all.

The house awoke at midnight to hear my eldest aunts
singing an old German hymn 'Wauchet auf' as the
shepards find the Kristkindt in the stable. Most of us
trot dutifully down to pay homage to the Child and
sing a few old hymns, then its back to bed for most or
to the kitchen for coffee and gingerbread!

Christmas breakfast consisted of herring,
pumperknickel toast, boiled eggs, cheese and
Glugwien(mulled spiced wine, usually weak in alchohol,
but very sweet and spicy!)  Presents were opened
before liturgy,(when the house has little ones, nobody
really goes back to sleep anyway!!

We went to liturgy at noon and Dinner was served
shortly before two!!

Seven sour and seven sweet relishes,
dill and sweet and bread and butter pickles,
radishes(white and red), olives(green and black)
onions, peppers, apple chutney, melon rinds,
mushrooms, turnips, and carrots.

Roast Goose, with red cabbage and apples and
onions(known as 'Himmel und Erde' or Heaven and Earth)

Roast Suckling pig with potato dumplings,'Knodel'
und Sauerkraut mit caraway seeds!

Broiled Carp, with green onions, sour cream and whole
boiled potatoes.

Desserts? Oh GOD!! YES!! too many, too many!!
Cakes, pies, puddings, trifles, candies, you name it!!

People served: 75, including guests, staff, and
security!!

Most are in bed now, save for some younger people who
decided to go snowmobiling!! Oh, and some cousins who
are still chattering on in a hopeless game of 'catch
up' with each others lives!!

Im to bed!!

Johann von Metten
aka Marcus Loidolt

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"