[Sca-cooks] Slaughtering

Diana Skaggs liadan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 26 06:16:55 PST 2002

Regina,
My ex is a deer hunter. We did all our own processing after a couple of attempts to use the one butcher in the area who processed venison. Apparently, they couldn't (or wouldn't) cut the steaks as thin as I wanted them.  I tried deer hunting a time or two, but was unsuccessful and even seeing a Bambi, and I decided I didn't LIKE being cold and/or wet.  We didn't hang our meat, and didn't have any problems with toughness.  One year, Ex hung the carcass in a tree in our front yard to skin & gut. The neighborhood children were fascinated by the process. Not so their parents. The county ranger and sheriff showed up before he was done.  After asking if he was doing something illegal by dressing the deer in the front yard, the constabulary said "no, just heard someone was cleaning a deer and wanted to see what he'd gotten."
Liadan
 Wanda Pease <wandap at hevanet.com> wrote:Okay, I have to admit that I haven't been deliberately directly responsible
for the death of a mammal that I've eaten (fish deserve to die if they are
stupid enough to go after a plastic worm I'm borely dangling in the river or
ocean). If I could be sure I'd do it quickly and cleanly, and I didn't have
to look it in the face first, I think I could manage.