[Sca-cooks] A really great Xmas Gift!!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 16:23:35 PST 2002

--- DeeWolff at aol.com wrote:
> My  most wondrous husband managed to track down
> Peter G. Rose (translator and
> redactor for "The Sensible Cook, Dutch Fooways
> in the Old and New World," a
> somewhat late for the SCA period, but on the
> money for me, Dutch Cookbook),
> and spoke to her of my keen interest in late
> 1500s to 1800s Dutch and Dutch
> Colonial American cooking. She has graciously
> agreed to talk with me about
> these interests.
>

> #1 I found she lives close to me.
> #2 She is willing to field my questions.
> #3 And she has never heard of the SCA (I'll fix
> that)
>
> Now, I ask. Does anyone out there wish me to
> ask any questions of her when I
> speak to her? I'd be more than happy to pass
> these along and return her
> comments to you.
>
> I am in happy cook's heaven!!
>
> Andrea MacIntyre

I am sure.  I would be too!

1) Is she planning on translating any more 15th
or 16th century Dutch cookbooks?  And, if so,
which one/s?

2) I have seen many 16th Century paintings of
16th Century Dutch women making waffles and
pancakes.  What isn't clear is what meal these
were used for. Would they have been used as a
breakfast food as they are now or as part of a
different meal? Does she have any knowledge about
this?  And how they were eaten? [i.e. with just
butter or with honey or jam or a sauce or ... ?
Especially since maple syrup is American and a
later development than when these painting were
created.]

Please thank her for me for writing such a
wonderful book.  I have read her book many times
since its publication and have used it
frequently.

Thank you.

Huette